Monday, July 29, 2013

Move It Monday Running, 5K 10K Just Get Moving



I am training for a Half Marathon in November and getting very excited about it.  There is nothing like running in a race.  The adrenaline, excitement, feeling of accomplishment, and the pride that you started and finished are just a few reasons why I race. 

Every year I take on a bigger race.  I started with the 5K's, moved on to 10K's, and Quarter Marathons.  A great benefit of signing up for a race is the training.  To make sure you are ready, you get moving on regular weekly bases until the event.  I love running outside.  This way I can breathe in fresh air, feel the breeze on my face, and the rare animal encounters.  Last week I was jogging along when I almost stepped on a beautiful tarantula.  I was tempted to stop and take a few pictures of it, but I was on a timed schedule.  I get to see hawks, birds, bobcats, coyotes, bunnies, jackrabbits, Gila monsters, snakes, and many more wonderful signs of nature.  I take care to keep myself safe and that of the animals.  If I was running in a gym, I would miss out on these rare encounters. 

If you are looking to get started in running here are a few programs to get you started. 

Couch to 5K

Training for 5K

Training for a 10K

Starting out, I followed these same steps and was happy to say I did so with no injuries. 
 
A Few Tips for Nutrition
*Hydration is so important, especially during these summer months.  You want to make sure you are drinking enough water before, during, and following your work outs.  Inadequate water replenishment can be life threatening.  Properly scheduling of fluid replenishment maintains plasma volume so circulation and sweating can progress correctly.  If you are working out for over an hour in intense heat environment be sure to replenish sodium lost through sweat with a sports/ electrolyte drink of some variety.  Be mindful to not abuse the sports drink because we can normally get replenishment from food choices, but some endurance athletes have to have fast supplemented replenishments.  I like to add in some celery sticks for my daily snacks because of the great source of natural sodium. 

*Energy intake.  When you are working out you need to make sure you are taking in enough calories to perform the work ahead.  If you reduce your calories then you will not be able to perform in your workout.  You will be tired, sluggish, and it can affect your concentration.  After a workout you want to have a replenish snack/meal within the first 15-20 minutes, this will start preparing for the next day’s work out.  If your run is two miles you will be burning around 200 some Kcals.  You want to average you calorie intake to balance and not exceed your daily amounts, or it is stored as fat and can be counterproductive.  Be sure to eat enough quality calories, carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins.  Daily balance goal should be 55% Carbohydrates, 30% Fats (good fats), and 15% Protein.  A great app to help you track this is MyFitnessPal  It is free for iPhone and iPads.  You can also scan in items to have the most accurate counting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment