Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Years Resolutions..part 1

Now that the holidays are over and we are feeling all the effects of too much fun, let’s talk about New Years Resolutions.


First, I want to briefly mention why we need these New Year resolutions. It is because we tend to over indulge in things that are not good for our health. It starts at Halloween and then rolls down hill FAST to Christmas. Even I gave in to things that taste and looked to good to pass up, and what happened? I got sick, and had both a stomach bug and a head cold. Why? Because I had cake, brownies, rolls, and a ton of things that are high in sugar and preservatives, and we know that sugar lowers the immune system. There was so much, I thought I was doing well by just choosing a few, but it’s a few here and there that catch up to us. Was the cold and stomach bug worth the sweets I had? No, not at all! It was horrible. So we have to make a choice between health and taste buds. I am not saying to never have sweets again, but you look at it as a debt you take against the good things you put in your body and think "is it worth it, or do I really need it?" It's not about the fat and the waist line, even though it does affect that too, but it's our wellness and state of health I am talking about. You see why we need to make these New Year Resolutions, let talk about how make a New Year resolution work for you!
First make a Positive mental change in your Life. So often we know we have to get fit, lose weight, and make better eating choices. Knowing it, sometimes we have a negative feeling about it. We grudgingly say, "I have to work out", or "I can't eat that, I'm on a diet". We need to give ourselves positive statements that remind us WHY we are making these beneficial life style changes. Some examples are…

• I want to live longer and happier.

• I want to see my children get married and dance with my daughter at her wedding.

• I want to take a trip to _________.

Get creative and make a mental picture of you being healthy and fit. When we do this we accept that we WANT this and the brain looks at things positively instead of negatively.

You can come up with a ton of positive things to remind yourself why you want better health. Think of your health as a chair. It has four equal legs it stands upon, and if any one of those legs falls short, you fall over. The same thing happens with your health, it can fall short. Your four legs of strength come from:

1. A positive attitude.

2. A healthy diet.

3. Making lifestyle changes in exercise and healthy habits.

4. Supplementary measures.

If you are looking to change this year and want help along the way stay tune for my continuation of my New Year Resolution help guide. This is only part one. Please feel free to email me any question you may have.

As always,
Have a Blessed and Healthy Day!

3 comments:

  1. Kelley, this is a great post! I think it's crucial to know your "WHY" - why you want to be healthy, why you want to live a long time, and why you're willing to do what it takes to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to follow up and say that this was such a good post, it inspired me to write my own post on New Years Resolutions.

    http://healthandwellnessnewsnow.blogspot.com/2009/12/make-your-new-years-resolution-come.html

    And then my post inspired my friend Rick to commit to losing weight, so he's now doing the vegan weight loss diet (similar to the one in the Engine 2 Diet) and he's blogging about it now! You can follow his health journey at www.RickLostWeight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Tom that is GREAT! That is the purpose of this blog is to help other down the path to Health and wellness. I will surely be following rick and your owns adventure to wellness.

    ReplyDelete