Thursday, March 8, 2012

Minestrone Soup for picky eaters and are you drinking Diet Soda?

I have four kids and while they are really good at eating fruits and vegetables I still like to hide some when I can.  The vegetables they don't eat on a regular bases can still cause a little whining.  They are kids and just need to be encouraged and see their parents as a great example.  In this recipe I added a few ingredients that gave the soup lots of great flavor and added nutrients.  My food processor is sometimes my best friend because it allows me to take the visual of "what is that" out and just enjoy the meal.  I have one daughter that if she see's an onion she is done.  So to make things easy she still eats it as long as she can't see it.  I am not pushing her because I know she will develop a liking for it later just like I did.  In the mean time she and I have an agreement, "no see no complain".  

Minestrone Soup
4 red bell peppers, sliced                                                                               
4 large tomatoes, sliced
1 head of colliflower
4 radishes and tops
1 cup carrots
4 stalks green onions, sliced
1 large yellow onion, sliced
3 stalks of celery
1 cup of cooked Northern white beans
1 cup of cooked black bean, drained
1 cup cooked small pasta noodle
5 cups water
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Process all ingredients until chopped in small pieces, mine almost looks like salsa.  In a large pot add vegetable mixture beans, cooked noodle, spices, and water.  You  might need to add more water for desired texture.  Heat soup over medium heat for about 20 minutes and enjoy!  This soup freezes well.  I like to make small portions in freezable bags for throughout the year. 

For Zucchini Fritter recipe.
Green beans are steamed with a drizzle of Olive Oil and dash of salt. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Is diet soda causing Cancer? 
I know I have heard it over and over.  "Look how much I lost by changing to diet soda!"  Well the results are there.  The reduced calories have allowed some to lose weight, but at what cost?  Rodale talks about the hidden dangers and carcinogens in these drinks. 
"Pay any attention to a soda label and you'll find questionable ingredients like sugar in excess amounts, high-fructose corn syrup, or dubious artificial sweeteners. But a new analysis from the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) has detected a cancer-causer that you won't ever find on the label."
In the article you will see 3 Surprising Reasons to Give Up Soda. 
  • It causes invisible fat buildup around your organs. 
  • Some contain toxic flame retardants.  
  • You're taking part in the biggest science experiment on the planet.  
You will also see 9 Disturbing side effects of Soda 
  • Including, Fat in strange places
  • accerated aging
  • harmful to environment



No comments:

Post a Comment