Friday, April 13, 2012

Coconut Ball Recipe

Fun with Food Friday: Coconut Balls                                     

I joined up this week for Fun with Food Friday! Check out my recipe below, and then go see what recipes Mama Chocolate is sharing!  This week is Grilled Mozzarella Tomato Sandwiches! 

Joy's Coconut Ball Recipe                                                   
1/2 cup Organic Raw Cacao powder
1 1/2 cups Unsweetened shredded Coconut
1 1/2 cups Organic rolled Oats
3/4 cup Coconut Oil (do not melt)                                                                 
1/2 cup Raw honey or maple syrup ( I used Raw Unfiltered Honey, organic)

Directions
Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add coconut oil and honey, and stir to combine. Mold into small balls by using a spoon, ice cream scoop or your hands. Place in a dish of your choice and freeze for minimum 30 minutes and enjoy. These are best when frozen or refrigerated.
Added a couple drops of Peppermint Essential Oil (5 drops for a full batch). Mmmm, delicious. Joy likes to substituting the oats for chopped almonds to make the coconut almond balls that were at the party. For the fudge, I leave out the shredded coconut and the oats and I add a couple tablespoons of chia seeds.

This recipe made about 40 medium size balls.  I think this is a really rich treat and would like to find a smaller scoop than the small pamper Chef scooper I used.  Absolutely delicious and kids kept asking for more.  My kids loved this treat!  Next time I will try to substitute half the oats for almonds and meal both together in a processor.  Also, the honey made these a little too sweet.  We will try to use a 1/4 cup of honey instead of the full 1/2 cup.  Joy, it was an absolutely delicious treat and will love sharing this with friends and family!

The kids gave these the thumbs up and asked for more.  


8 comments:

  1. Oh WOWZA! I love coconut and chocolate. This looks amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing! Pinned! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, two of my favorites also! Thank you for pinning!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I love your idea of adding peppermint oil...I bet that was delicious! I will definitely be making these soon...I think I might even have all the ingredients in my kitchen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I loved about this treat is that it is everything we always have in the kitchen. So simple and delicious.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! I think I might be in love. The Monkey won't like them (aversion to coconut), but I totally want these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a fan of coconut but this looks like a great snack to make for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delicious! I'm sure I would eat way too many!

    ReplyDelete