Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spring Seasonal Eating to clean and Detox the body

Ever thought to increase your health by eating appropriate seasonal foods.  In the winter we gravitate to richer heartier meals for warmth and energy.  This is why we have plenty of warming soups, breads, fats, and root vegetables. Now that we are in Spring we need to help the body naturally detox the heavier foods that provided nutriments and warmth through the Winter months.  All foods have a natural  property to be cooling, heating, drying, or hydrating after consumption. 
Do you suffer from Allergy or congestion once spring comes around.  Some think it is a reaction in the body.  The heavier mucus the body accumulates during the Winter starts to melt within and we need to release this mucus.  You can do this by increasing spring foods which happen to be light and easily digestible foods.  Green vegetables happen to be among the first items to pop up in the garden for a reason.  They help us to cut the mucus and detox.

List of Spring time foods
Light and easily digestible grains:  barley, millet, amaranth oats, corn (polenta), brown rice, farro, and quinoa
Simulating herbs and spices:  pepper, ginger,cardamon, cilantro, cinnamon, dandelion, strawberry leaf, mustard, and fenugreek
Lighter meats:  goat, lamb, eggs, ocean fish, turkey, poultry, and rabbit
Vegetablesasparagus, alfalfa sprouts, bean sprout, endive, carrots, leafy greens, Swiss Chard, dandelion, collard greens, kale, lettuce, bitter greens, watercress, mustard greens, parsley, peas, spinach turnips, radishes, wheat grass, celery, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, bell peppers, corn , tomato, green beans, hot peppers, dried chilies, garlic, onion.
Dairy: try to substitute for rice and soy.  Dairy tends to increase mucus in the body.
Fruits: blueberries, apples, pears, strawberries, other berries, grapes, and dried fruit like raisins, prunes, and mulberries

 Farro Salad
 4 cups of water
2 cups farro
1 large tomato chopped
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine water and Farro in a medium sauce pan.  Add salt, and bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat and simmer over medium low for 15-20 minutes, Covered.  Drain if any moisture is remaining.  (I have made a few times and never had any remaining water.)  Transfer to a large glass bowl.  Allow to cool.  Add all remaining ingredients and mix.  My husband and I love it fresh at room temperature but it taste great cold too. 

After boiling the grain it has a puff look and it tender and chewy.  Taste great by it self and as a simple grain side dish with out all the extra ingredients. 


Farro is one of the oldest grains cultivated by humans.  It was originally found in the Middle East and is grown now mostly in Italy.  The grain is very similar to quinoa.  Pearled means the outer husk layer has been removed from the grain, allowing it to have this puffy and softer texture.  This tasty grain is a great source of carbohydrate, fiber, iron, and protein.  This is a wonderful meal by itself, side, and even used for a satisfying breakfast.  I sometimes eat this salad as snack for the energy for my runs and workouts.  Everything you need for a schools practice without being too heavy.
I picked up this product up at Costco for 6.99.  What a great price for an organic grain that you can easily make many meals with.  I am looking forward to using Farro in an Albondigas soup this week, for the meatballs. 
You can see more of this product at Earth Choice.  They have suggested recipes for you to try and enjoy as well.  Recipes for breakfast, dinner, soups, sides and salads.  They also give you great recipes for quinoa, mushrooms, rices, among other products featured, so please check it out and try a new twist to a favorite in the house. 

14 comments:

  1. Looks good! I have never tried farro. Can you substitute quinoa? I already have some so it would be awesome if I could use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely can! I love the texture of farro and think if you like quinoa you will love this too. Check out Earth Choice's recipes for quinoa too. http://www.earthlychoice.com/quinoa-recipes.html
      Thank you for stopping by Mel!

      Delete
  2. Wow that all looks so healthy & delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Thank you. I hope you enjoy and let me know if you get to make it!

      Delete
  3. LOL. I was going to ask the same question about the Quinoa. I've never seen Farro at the store but I DO have quinoa in my cupboard. Definitely going to make this recipe! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Jennifer even with quinoa the salad is wonderful! Enjoy.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of farro, sounds interesting! I am a fan of quinoa so I might have to give farro a try :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna it was a new grain for me as well. I have long loved quinoa and was excited to try this one. If you get a chance to try it I hope you enjoy it!!! The taste was great and texture light and chewy.

      Delete
  5. I have to disagree, rice and corn are not easily digestible. Corn needs to be consumed with a bean to complete it's nutrition. Rice is mostly carbs so it has hardly any nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, thank you for inquiring. I guess I should have said Polenta. I assumed with corn in the grain section you would have understood the grain form. I will be sure to use the correct word next time. :-) If you notice corn is not in the vegetable section because you are correct, in the kernel form digestion can't break the kernel down enough so it has little nutritional value.
      Polenta-( ground cornmeal) has vitamin B1, folate, vitamin C, phosphorus, manganese, B5, and fiber which aids in good colon health.
      Brown Rice- B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese. Happens to be the highest of all grains in the B vitamins, contains iron, Vitamin E, and some protein. Long grain rice has less starch than the short. As far as easily digestible, I am speaking on the majority but not entirely everyone. Some will have digestion issues but rice has long been used in most cultures as a daily nutrition source. It is a wonderful energy source of Carbohydrate and the high fiber helps to balance the carbohydrates in a gradual time released for the body. I agree that none of the items mentioned above can be eaten by themselves. All foods need healthy balance and moderation with combination foods. These are foods mentioned to incorporate for spring in a normal daily diet.

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of Farro before but that actually does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how this would effect my blood sugar its Brennan struggle lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really yummy! I love spring and summer food...so light and airy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks refreshing! I love cilantro in my food. I'll have to look for farro next time we are shopping!
    Thanks for linking up to Delicious Dish Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete