Monday, June 24, 2013

Move It Monday: This Weeks Workout and Refueling


I am so happy to be back into the full swing of my workouts.  Since I have to increase my running miles back slowly, I am focusing on toning and strengthening my whole body.  Now that I can put more weight back on my foot I am working on my balance and all those tiny muscles that tend to get over looked like glutes, back, quads, biceps, and shines.  While I am still working on my core, I am working in these muscles to get some of my balance back and strength.  These are great for anyone looking for a toning week. 

This week I am not doing circuit, but small increases to each exercise.  Each day I increase the amount by 2 or 5 reps.   Thursday is a rest day, which I will do a yoga session and nothing else. 

Do at least 30 min to an hour of Cardio first!  Then I move right into exercises below.  It looks like a lot, but goes by pretty fast.  If the amounts below are too intense then start with 10 and increase from there.  You want to at least feel a burn or why do them!

Monday: Core Synergistic
Tuesday: Run 3 miles
Wednesday: Run 3 miles
Thursday: Yoga Only
Friday: Run 3 miles
Saturday: Yoga P90X

Pushups: 25
Dips: 25
Bicep curls: 30
punches: 50 fast
Squats: 100
sit-ups: 30
crunches: 50
leg lifts: 30
plank: 30 seconds
Heel Taps: 10 reps X2
Single-leg deadlifts:  15 reps X2
On Leg Bridge: hold each leg and pelvis position for 30 seconds on each side.  Times 2.

Sport Nutrition
After your workout you want to replenish with carbohydrates, not the grain and bread variety, but a shake, smoothie, protein bar, anything that is not too heavy for the stomach.  The first 30 minutes after a workout are crucial for replenishing!  This is what will prepare you for the next workout later that day or tomorrows.  If you wait past that time the muscle glycogen synthesis is deceased, even up to 66%.  What this means is that if you wait too long on carbohydrate intake then you will reduce muscle glycogen storage and increase risk of injury.  Working out is a balance of effort and fuel.  If you are not refueling your body you will not be able to work out later, and you want the energy to burn the body fat.  Muscles burn body fat and you need complex carbohydrates to work the muscles for future workouts.  Complex carbohydrates are found in grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, and milk.  My ideal recovery snack or refuel is a veggie juice or shake, something in a liquid form.  Find out what is easiest on your stomach and get it in within 30 minutes of your finished workout, at least 2 grams of carbohydrates. 

This is my workout, but the most important thing to get moving.  Whether that is a hike, cycling, walking, swimming, just move.  Kids and adults both need about 1 hour of physical exercise everyday.

2 comments: