Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Grab some Mangos!



One of our families favorite fruits and we are enjoying to the fullest.  Why you may ask?  June is the last month that mango's will be in season in the US.  While you can have Mango's imported from out of the country all year, we like to eat them when in season in US.  One of the major reasons I love to shop at Farmers markets is that you eat seasonal food from your area.  Mago's are rich in Antioxidants, Vitamin C, and A. 

You have no limit to enjoying this deliciously sweet fruit but enjoy before the end of June.  After you will be paying more for them and increasing pollution to transport these from afar.



Fun Facts

  • One cup of mango's is just 100 calories.
  • One serving gives you provides 100% of your daily vitamin C and 35% of your vitamin A.V
  • Vitamin C promotes healthy immune function and collagen formation. 
  • Vitamin A is important for vision and bone growth. 
  • Mango provides 12% of your daily dietary fiber and diets low in fat and high in fiber can reduce illness and disease, such as cancer.
  • Mango contain over 20 different vitamins and minerals.
  • Each serving of mango is fat free, sodium free and cholesterol free.
  • "Mango scored 93 out of 100 on the recently introduced NuVal scoring system for overall nutritional quality."
We use Mango raw, in salsa, salads, smoothies, frozen treats, sides, and juice.  Have fun and eat healthy with mango!

13 comments:

  1. I love mangos! I usually put them in smoothies, mostly just to get some fruit in my fiance's system, but they are also really great just on their own, and full of great vitamins and minerals too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Holly. You are a sneaky chief! :-)

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that mangos were so beneficial and had so few calories! I need to start adding these to my smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one of those non-guilty pleasures! :-)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mango!!! I am happy to learn about these cool facts! :) Thanks!
    S.O.S. Mom
    sosmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Melissa, I can not seam to keep them in the house for long. The kids go mango-crazy. They are so bummed when they see them in store, out of season, and I tell them they have to wait until back around in the US.

      Delete
  4. Ok Kelley I'm going to be perfectly honest..I'm not a big Mango fan :( Sorry..BUT I do like them in smoothies with other things because they give it a nice texture :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, Shari it is perfectly OK that you don't enjoy mango. What is great, is that even though you do not care for them you sneak them into items you do like. That is a very creative way to get in the verity of vitamins and still have fun! I commend you! Blessing to you as well!

      Delete
  5. Mangoes are so delicious, they are in season now too! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mango in green smoothies! Thanks for the notice, I will have to stock them up in the freezer all ready for smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, mangoes. I've always wondered if the US has a mango season--now I know!

    Did you know that mango skin contains a resin similar to poison ivy? I have a few friends who have had reactions to it! But fortunately not myself, and I am pretty sensitive to poison ivy (which is of the devil, imo).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love mangoes. I wish someone grew them locally because I try my best not to buy food that has traveled a long distance. But sometimes we do buy them anyway because they are soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love mangoes! Not exactly local to Massachusetts, but we buy them anyway. They are nothing like the ones we get while in Florida though. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete