Thursday, May 17, 2012

Greening your Family App, Review

I am sure your body is of great importance to you.  It is the only one you're given and you want it to last, right?  We try make good choices in eating and working out, but are we hurting our bodies with our cleaning products?

The amount of chemicals in our everyday cleaning products is alarming. Very similar to food labels, marketing on beauty and cleaning products can be very misleading.  I wanted to take this time to introduce you to a knew App called "Greening your Family".  

Description

Practical shopper’s guide to Greening Your Family

The Greening Your Family App is a road map for making safe product choices for you and your family. Do you wonder if you should buy organic or conventionally grown apples? Want to know which fish varieties have the least environmental contaminants? What about the safest brands of children’s shampoo or toothpaste to buy? This app answers all of these questions and more.

The app is designed to make it easy for you to minimize you and your family’s exposure to harmful chemicals found in many of the products that line the grocery store shelves. It is based on the award-winning book titled Greening Your Family, by Lindsey Carmichael, MPH. The Greening Your Family app is a distilled version of the book with advice and brand recommendations for everything from dishwasher soap to deodorant.

Features:
•Extensive information covering three broad categories: food, personal care and cleaning products

•Recommendations for safer brands of products in each category

•Information about ingredients to avoid in conventional products     

•Ability to create a ‘favorites’ list for quick access at the store

•Updates ensuring current information about the quickly changing green products landscape

•30+ recipes and tips for making your own non-toxic cleaning products

•Safe Guide to Plastics for foods

•Guide to House Plants That Purify the Air in your home

•Labeling information

•Table of the top 15 ingredients to avoid in personal care products

I was happy to see that most of the products I am using were included is the "safe green companies".  Although, some of the smaller or new companies I stared to use where not listed there.  Most that were listed are major green companies and you can find online or in most stores. I found it very beneficial when shopping.  What I wished it had, was a list of toxic chemicals in cleaning products.  A listing of stay away from these section.  It was nice to open up the app and check if a product was safe or not. The app does go into explain about what to look for on reading labels.  Through out the app I found a weather of knowledge and products that I feel a little better about trying now.  I do like to keep things simple and as natural as possible, but if I try a new product I will refer to their lists.  Over all a wonderful app to have. 

If you wanted to try a small version of the app for FREE go to this link.

For the full version the amount is only .99 cents!  I thought the buck was worth it for the convenience of having this info on my phone.  I am still learning about being a green mom, and enjoyed the assistance the app gave me. 

A few reviews:

"I use this at this at the grocery store and have found it to be helpful in my quest to minimize my family's exposure to harmful chemicals. The app covers a wide range of categories, briefly identifies ingredients to avoid in conventional products, and lists non-toxic brand alternatives- most of which can be found at your local grocery store. User interface is simple and well-designed. Worth every penny."
" This app is well organized and comprehensive. Anyone seeking a healthier life will benefit significantly."


5 comments:

  1. Interesting idea - I always try to buy organic, but I probably don't pay enough attention to the chemicals in household products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh oh. is this iphone only? couldn't find it on my android :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I have to get it. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete