Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Do you have Chronic Pain?
So, let’s talk about WHY we have these pains. One of the most common reasons is from inflammation in the body. One way we create and can stop this inflammation is in our food choices.
Here are some items that cause inflammation leading to pain in the body.
• Sugars- refined, processed, white
• Grains- enriched, processed, white flours. Examples are bagels, breads, pasta, desserts
• Oils- refined and processed
• Fatty Meats
Americans eat these on a daily bases and they consist of 80% of the food eaten. Wow, think about that! 80% of the food choices and it causes the pain that you get and we chuck it up to a bad day at the office, studying too hard, or not getting a good nights rest. The inflammation caused by these foods hit joints and muscles, causing pain and we are lead to medications to put a band-aid on it instead of STOPING it. The meds will wear off and the pain will still be there. What can you do?
Make a life style change of your eating habits. Pick cleaner foods from those mentioned above or try limit the use them.
• Natural sweeteners instead of refined sugar. Look to cut back big time on the sugars. If you need more ideas and how to do this please contact me. There is too much information to put that all here.
• Whole grains, whole wheat, brown rice.
• Better Oils would be olive oil, coconut, pure butter, but used in moderation.
• Lean meats, skinless chicken, fresh fish, and omega 3 eggs. Rich omega 3 foods help to reduce and clean up areas that have been affected by inflammation. Contact me for more ways to incorporate these in daily choices.
For the bulk of daily choices you have a great variety of foods. Vegetables, fruits, and raw nuts are all great choices. These provide what you need for the body to be clean and functioning correctly. The top highlighted areas should count for less than 25% of the daily calorie in take.
Also, using herbs and spices can put a variety of flavors and healthy benefits in your body.
Ginger, turmeric, rosemary, oregano, garlic, coriander, are just a few. Almost all spices have anti-inflammatory qualities.
So lets cut back on these problematic foods and increase the beneficial items and put Pain and Suffering behind us.
Turkey day is almost here, what helpful foods are you featuring to give the best for your family and friends. Please share with us any of your ideas!
Here is another favorite of mine.
Warm and toasty Carrots
• 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
• 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp minced ginger
• 1 1/2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
• 2 tbsp water
• 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 tsp pure maple syrup
• chopped fresh parsley as garnish