Monday, September 24, 2012

Good Eatin' Recipe is Black Eye Peas Curry

This week I am featuring a healthy dish that has a lot of exploding taste for your health.  I love Indian food, and I am very lucky to have a friend who has taught me a lot about making Indian cuisine.  Indian food has many wonderful health benefits.  The spices that make the base of flavor help to aid digestion, aid circulation, and more.  While most people assume all Indian food is spicy, you can moderate that.  I typically make two dishes of the same dish.  One medium heat for the kids and myself and  HOT one for my spicy husband.

Black-Eye Peas Curry                                                              
1 1/2 cups dry Black-Eye Peas
1 medium yellow onion
1 garlic clove crushed
1 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
2/3 cup water
cilantro leaves, chopped for garnish
1 tbsp Lemon juice

This is one of my favorite dishes to make since it is a good source of Protein, Carbohydrates, Fiber, no fat, no cholesterol, rich in potassium, zinc, and iron.
Benefits of Indian spices: protects against cold, aids digestion, reduce anemia.

 Boil black eye peas until tender but not mushy.  Drain beans and set aside.
  In my Ozeri wok, I drizzle coconut oil and then add in onions.  Cook for 5-8 minutes stirring frequently until onions are a golden color. 
 Now add spices garlic, chili powder, salt, ground coriander, cumin, and stir mixture for 3-5 minutes.

This what the mixture will look like as you stir in the spices. 










Add in 2/3 cup of water, stir, and simmer until all water is evaporated. 

 

 






Add the black-eye peas to onion mixture and stir until combined.  










Serve Black-eye peas in a bowl, add lemon juice and cilantro for garnish.  This dish can be served hot or cold.  










 
Welcome to the Good Eatin' Recipe Hop
hosted by
The 'Pitch List' Bloggers

Every Tuesday you can join us to share great recipes.........
There are no specific themes. 
Add your recipe of choice to the linky.
No Giveaways Please...all giveaways will be removed.
We Love Comments! Please Share!

3 comments:

  1. I am not big on onions so I need to find a replacement with this because the rest sounds delicious! I love black eye peas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber you would be surprised! The onions give it a sweet taste. So delicious.

      Delete
  2. I have never tried Blake eye peas before! May just have to!

    ReplyDelete