Unfortunately, I had a late start to the event. The kids were battling an illness that wiped out the family for most of last week. When Friday came around I was exhausted and in bed with it too. I missed the Friday run which put me off my schedule and even on Saturday I could only make half the miles I was shooting for.
Even though I am behind, I love that I am getting outside daily whether to run or walk, and be helping with this cause. I was so to get back in, but fully recovered and making up some miles that I missed last week.
Friday: None- Sick
Saturday: 4 miles 46 minutes
Sunday: 6 miles in 1hr 11 minutes
Monday: 2 miles in 22 minutes
TODAY: 8 miles, my farthest distance yet! I enjoyed it so much, ran in 1hr 35 minutes.
- I do not want to get an injury so what am I doing to protect myself? I have two pairs of great running shoes. I never run with the same shoes two runs in a row. I like to give my shoes a rest between runs. This keeps the shoes lasting longer and keeps my feet from getting any stress fractures. If you have not had your feet fitted for shoes, you should. This is usually a free service that most Shoe Shops, like Fleet Feet, do for you and set you up with shoe fittings.
- While talking about feet, make sure you have good socks too. I picked up a couple pairs that breathe well and absorb any sweat to avoid blisters."Here are some of the top reasons why we make this recommendation: At rest, the average foot releases 1 cup of sweat each day. On a 5 mile run, your feet produce enough sweat to fill an 8 ounce glass. 55% of foot perspiration evaporates through the shoes upper. The other 45% is absorbed in the sock and footbed of your shoe! Two trillion bacteria live on your feet (that’s 12% of all bacteria on the human body)".~~Fleet Feet Site
- I do a few yoga poses to warm up my muscles, both before and after, the run to keep from getting any pulled muscles. This is important! If you don't stretch you will get an injury. Don't rush your stretches either; take the time to really warm them up. Check out MyYogaOnline.com great tips and video exercises and stretches!
- I eat clean healthy meals that provide nutrients and keep providing fuel throughout the day.
- My Music is never too laud that I can't hear what is going on around me. I love to listen to music, but think safety first. You want to be able to see and hear everything going on around you.