Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I Finished My 100 for February


Today I finished my 100 Miles for February, running for Wounded Warriors Project.  This has been such an amazing journey for me.  I have run in a 5K and 10K, both I thought were amazing experiences, which they were, but I am shocked at the work I accomplished this month.  One thing I  heard real runners say, is that its 40% body and 60% mind.  I noticed that when I cut the negative thoughts out and looked positively towards every run, I was more comfortable, and my body has all the energy it needed.  At sometimes, I actually felt like my legs were on auto pilot, and I was just along for the ride. 

Running outside was a very peaceful experience.  I would look around and it seemed like the landscape was always changing.  Driving on the same paths, I never notice the mountains, plants, trees, and smells.  One day this month I got a punch in the face smell of a dead skunk, could have done without that, but most of the time the smells of plants, rain, dew were just amazing.  Although, you never have control over the temperatures, lighting, and ANIMALS!  One morning I waited for the sun to come up just enough to get a 5 mile run in, at times my husband and I had to tag team watching the kids while the other ran.  I stepped outside ready to push start on the tracking and the coyotes started howling, a group was right by the house.  I jumped back inside so fast!  My husband asked if it was too cold, and I told him about the coyotes.  He laughed and asked if I was going and I got my courage up and headed out.  I would not have been able to finish this project without the support of my husband. 

While most of the days my husband and I ran separately, we wanted to finish today together.  We had just 8 miles to finish and we bundled up our youngest and headed out.  It was a neat experience running together.  You support and push each other to finish in certain times.  He is a 8 minute a mile runner while I average an 11.45 minute mile.  Today I was able to push it to 11:01 average miles.  I really wanted to finish in the 10 minute range but happy all the same.  I always have next time!

This month we tracked our miles through Dailymile.com.  You can invite friends that allow you to encourage and support one another on your fitness journey.  There were days when I didn't want to run, but seeing my friend just got 5 miles ahead of me got me lacing up the sneakers and heading out.  Support and drive make the difference in fitness challenges. 

As a reward my husband picked me up a new shirt and sweaty band at Fleet Feet.  I Love absolutely love and think it fits my personality perfectly. 

You can see other post through this journey in the Running Tab

16 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great accomplishment, and a great cause! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew, it was a great cause to support and run for.

      Delete
  2. Congrats. I think I am going to look into this for one of these months. Of course I have to wait until the snow is gone outside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that it is hard to run in the snow. I could not run this weekend, because we were up North, or I would have finished Sunday. When the weather is better, you will enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Wow, congrats! That's awesome! I would love to get to the point where I have the courage to run/walk/jog 100 miles in one month. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just start. I am going to be posting links to great programs and apps, for anyone to get started, on out Hoppin for Health (Mondays). Come back and see if something is right for you :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is awesome! Congrats! I wish I could get to that point where I could do even half of that on a month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing!! I should challenge myself like that! You are inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I am heading over to check out dailymile now! What a great thing to do together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your AWESOME accomplishment for a great cause non-the-less! I know the "legs on autopilot" feeling - I recently had that for the first time since High School and it prompted me to run a stretch. I was FLOORED and have been sick ever since so the motivation is gone :( Hoping to get back into it soon! Thanks for this awesome motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never have gone back out after the coyotes, lol. That is great time on your run and you will be down to 10 before you know it. I am working on distance now doing the run/walk spurts. I will get there in time, no rush though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so awesome! I'm so proud of you. I can barely get myself up in the morning to do yoga, let alone run a mile. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Awesome job! Running is so great - and what a great cause. Cute shirt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go! That is very exciting! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing accomplishment! I often think it would be nice to be a runner, but I just don't have the motivation to give it a go. I think getting past the pain of starting something is the big thing.

    ReplyDelete