Thursday, June 21, 2012

Kids Corner: Let kids be the chef with Sunshine Smoothie recipe

Sometimes kids need a little help from us to get excited about healthy eating and staying active.  Why not let them be the chef?  All week I let the kids take turns in making the smoothie of the day.  They got to use their creativity in making something new that was all their own.  A couple of them did not turn out as they wanted, so we started a smoothie journal.  They wrote down what they made, how it tasted, and what they want to do differently next time.  The kids had a blast and they can't wait for their turns to come around again.

Because we like to talk about being supportive we only use constructive opinions when using the score cards we made.  We talked about how we don't want to hurt feelings if something does not taste as we would like.  This has worked out for me too, because one night I tried a new recipe that was not a hit, and they where very nice is telling me what they think it needed.  Today for breakfast my daughter made a cantaloup and apricot Smoothie.  She calls is Sunshine.





Rara's Sunshine Smoothie
1/2 cantaloup, chopped
5 apricot's halved, pitted
1/2 cup milk
1 cup of ice

Blend and enjoy!

While everyone loved it, she wants to try with a spoon of honey.  






One tip of the from my son, even though sweet peppers taste great, they do not go in Smoothies.  :-)

11 comments:

  1. Those look yummy! My kids will love it. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THe kids had a blast this week! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Cantaloupes and Apricots. Never tried that before. On my must try list.Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet they had so much fun! I would have loved making my own Smoothies as a kid :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I think I'll dig out all the older fruit and throw it in the blender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look DELICIOUS!! I have had a friend ask me about ideas for cantaloupe in a smoothie, so I'll have to share this with her. My kids LOVE smoothies, so they'll enjoy trying this new one. Great idea. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried that recipe before, sounds good. We have smoothies almost daily --- love our VitaMix!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look how proud she is. I love the idea of trying out things and learning from the ones that didnt turn out good...might try this at home, we need it, me included!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had a smoothie with cantaloupe in it, I am going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THis looks so yummy. Cantaloupe is one of my favorite foods too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy and looks delicious!! I'll have to give it a try especially since my favorite is cantaloupe.

    ReplyDelete