Thursday, October 4, 2012

Importance Of Cleaning Your Reusable Bags

Back in May I made a commitment to drop the plastic bag!  I am very proud of my contribution to reduce the amount of plastic bags.  ConservingNow helped me with a convenient solution in reusable bag and I have never had to go a day with out them.  They look great, sit in my purse easily, and can hold all my shopping needs, which is a lot. Here is there sight to see more.

When you use reusable bags you have to be aware of contamination.  This mostly happens with raw meats, but all bags should be cleaned from time to time.  If I buy meats I always throw the bag in the wash even, if I don't see anything.  I know this can be a problem for canvas bags, but it is important for your future purchase safety. 

A study at the University of Arizona, in Tucson by Charles P. Gerba PhD, said that "some bags had more E coli that underwear"!  Gross right?  This happen from meats mostly.  He went on to say that the bacteria levels increased when bags sat in hot cars, the heat increases the growth of the bacteria.  That does not mean we revert back to plastic bags, but start washing our bags.  I have washed ConservingNows bags over and over and they still look brand new.  I love that no matter where I go I have my own bags ready.  
Remember to wash bags make regularly, immediately if they held raw meats.  It is important to conserve and reduce waste, but do it responsibly. 

9 comments:

  1. It makes sense that reusable bags need washed. Just didn't think about it till now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info...now my reusable bags are all heading to the wash tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wipe them down every time I unpack them :)
    The can get pretty gross if I forget...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wash mine during the week before we go shopping on saturdays =] love the designs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Icky............I wash mine regularly...but maybe I need to wash more often. I think ... I am going to wash it after each use.
    Thanks...I needed reminding to wash my bags!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I've never washed mine! It's going on the to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! I have bags that are dedicated to grocery and other retail. And I also make sure to wash them regularly! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuck... great reminder! We use reusable bags exclusively and I need to remember to run them through the washer more often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to wash mine! Most of mine have cardboard in the bottom though or are plasticy. I guess I need to invest in some better bags. Most grocery stores here in Quebec don't even have plastic bags anymore and if you want them you have to pay 5 cents each.

    ReplyDelete