Thursday, March 28, 2013

What is a Seder Meal and Recipes

What is a Seder Meal? 
It is a gathering to celebrate in the presence of loved ones and friends, with the sings of festive rejoicing around.  On Holy Thursday, the last Thursday before Easter, we participate in history's most ancient and continuously observed festival.  "Seder" means order in Hebrew, and the meal is an order in the unfolding events from the past.  Throughout the meal we celebrate two principle events in the History of God's people.  We participate in the Exodus from Egypt, God's redemptive liberation of Israel from slavery, and recall that Jesus observed Passover with his disciples on the night of the Last Supper. 

During the Meal we use a script of sorts that walks through the order and the meaning that each food represents. 


 For the meal you bring out your nice table settings, some fresh flowers, and a bowl for the hand washing. 

Each food has its own importance and I will be sharing the recipes I used today.  The Lamb mixture was a new experiment and I am glad it came out so great.





Ground Lamb and Spices
Haroseth
Make your own Unleavened Bread.  This year I used a flat bread that I picked up at Sprouts and we loved it!

What is used during a SederLamb- the word "pesach" (passover) applies to the Lamb of sacrifice and the deliverance from Egypt.  Roasted and seasoned with garlic, onion, and herbs. 

Unleavened bread- Matzoh is called the "bread of Affliction" because it recalls the unleavened bread they prepared for a hasten  escape by night from Egypt.  Three large matzohs are broken and eaten during the ceremony. 

Bitter herbs-  (Horseradish) is a reminder of the bitterness of slavery and suffering endured in Egypt. 

Green herbs- (Parsley and Celery) to be dipped in salt water.  The salt water represents tears of sorrow during the captivity of the Lord's people.

Haroseth- is a mixture of chopped apples, nuts, cinnamon, and wine representing the mortar used by the Jews to build structures in Egypt during their slavery.

Wine- (Red) used to sip on with four words through the meal.  "The four cups", Thanksgiving, Telling, Blessing, and Righteousness.
Food is used for all celebrations, it is life both lived in the past and celebrating in the present.  I love to celebrate my faith through food and how it can represent so much more than satisfaction from consumption. 

How do you use food to celebrate?
 
Disclaimer:  I am not paid for my posts.  These are my opinions and mine alone.  I like to bring my readers news on Nutrition, Wellness, Green Living, Events, and Companies.

11 comments:

  1. How interesting. I never knew all this. Thanks so much for sharing Seder with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not familiar with Seder, either...thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of it either. We are so used to using food to celebrate in our culture (to answer your question) that I'm trying to get away from doing that so much...it makes us all fat, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew any of it either! Thats pretty neat!! I had never heard of Seder either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. It's always fun to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of that, love to hear what others do. I grew up in a food store so we never really used food to celebrate anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have slowly been learning more about this since my in laws celebrate it. But this is one thing they have not taught me yet! Maybe now I can impress them instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what the meal represents, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matzoh's rock. I grew up celebrating passover and I have to say the matzoh's were a favorite. Still are. Its great to see other ways to pair them up with a meal too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ιncredіble! Thiѕ blog lοoκs exactly lіκе my old one!
    It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

    Check out my web-site :: sfgate.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend invited us to a seder years ago and it was awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete